Saturday 5 May 2012

iCAL: CLASS CALENDAR SUBSCRIPTIONS

Communicating information to students becomes easier when using calendar synchronisation software. The corporate world has been doing this for years, but calendaring has strangely been quiet in classrooms. Even in schools, staff may be used to getting a printed A4 yearly calendar and then an updated A4 term calendar at the beginning of each term with individuals liquid papering, crossing out, drawing arrows and rewriting events as updates occur.

iCal makes calendaring within a class or school a piece of cake (if you use Apple devices). I love how my calendar is available on my MacBook, iPad and iPhone, but most of all I love how I can communicate with my class via our own calendar. No matter what time of the day it is I can update events and communicate what is required to be brought, or completed before an upcoming event. Students can check this each night from home to see what is happening the next day. It needs to be said that many software solutions are available including the online webpage version - Google Calendar, as well as Microsoft solutions such as Outlook, which links emails too. Check out the images below for more info on this valuable tool for teachers.

Image 1: iCal Calendar Example

Image 2: iCal Sidebar Features

Image 3: iCal Subscription Options



No comments:

Post a Comment