Saturday 28 April 2012

5 APPS I USE WEEKLY

GOODREADER ($5.49)

I see it as a 'Finder' equivalent for my iPad. I can organise pdf documents downloaded from the net, from my email or from my linked Dropbox account. The ability to create folders and add, delete etc files into these folders easily make it an excellent resource, particularly for those looking to move towards a paperless classroom. Recently I annotated my class marks from their reports using the highlight button and instantly shows how students are going - great for visual learners. I'm eager to try other features over this next term.




EVERNOTE (Free)
Links to so well between the Evernote website and the MacApp. Sometimes I need my iPad, sometimes I need my MacBook, it syncs seamlessly between both. Organising notebooks and notes within these is great for teachers - each student has their own notebook full of formal results, and informal notes. Along with the ability to tag notes, any info on students can be easily archived and located. This works the same for committee and meeting notes. It even suggests the name of a new note you create based on appointments in your calendar! A must have for iPad. A must have for teachers.



NUMBERS ($10.49)
Some people are not sold on this App, but I love it. It does work slightly differently to how the Mac version works, but that's its advantage. I use the 'tick boxes' on the forms section for a quick checklist in class. This works for attendance and record keeping. It still uses SUM, MAX, MIN, AVERAGE features of it's Mac brother, but generally if I want those features, I will use my Mac. Brilliant for 'on-the-run' mobile uses (eg Excursions).





SHOWME (Free)
I'm only juts getting into this one, but have hardly put it down. ShowMe essentially is a whiteboard that records all screen markings as well as voice. We set this up with students talking through how they complete Maths sums - and learned a little about their thinking, where their understanding trails off and their misconceptions. It's difficult to get this feedback from traditional pen and paper methods. Parents can be shown these movies to see exactly what they are doing in class. The movies can be uploaded to the web and then downloaded - having this synced more easily (Evernote style) would be a great advantage to future updates, but still works a treat.


SPORTING APPS
OK, another 5 to the list, but in my coaching roles I enjoy using the features that these apps offer to help develop skills of players.

iScore Basketball ($10.49)
Brilliant for keeping stats during a basketball game. We used this with our A team for each game last season. The stat reports and scoring charts provide invaluable feedback to coaches and players. Well worth the expensive price tag.








nxCricket HD ($14.99)
Another outstanding scoring/stats app. Scoring charts, manhattan graphs, score worms, ball-by-ball tracking features all allow individual palyers to disect their game, see their batting and bowling strengths as well as the coach to see how the team is playing on the whole. Again, well worth the money. Non-HD version available for a cheaper price.







Cricket Coach Plus HD ($2.99)

We used this extensively for its record function. It can show player their action and superimpose it against a video modelling good skill execution. Lines can be drawn on paused video to outline weaknesses in a batting, bowling and throwing action. The ability to email to players is also a great feature. A must have for the new-age cricket coach!







Footy Coach Plus HD ($2.99)
By the same developers of Cricket Coach Plus HD, and very similar features. With the help of older players and parents, we will be taking a bank of videos of each player's skill and working through it with them at the time and also to disect afterwards to aid skill development. Interesting to see the videos side by side from Week One to the end of the season!

No comments:

Post a Comment